Program Start Dates and Application Deadlines
The Science Education MA program is offered on a 2-year cohort cycle starting in odd numbered (i.e. 2019, 2021, 2023, etc.) Spring or Summer terms. Application deadlines for a Spring semester start are due Oct 31 in even numbered years; Summer term start applications are due Feb 1 in odd numbered years.
In the on-line application to Graduate Study be sure to specify degree choice and program. For the MA in Science Education there are 3 options:
- MA Science Education (major code = 821),
- MA Science Education – Earth Science Emphasis (major code = 827), or
- MA Science Education – Physics Emphasis (major code = 828).
Program Specific Application Materials
Each Science Education program requires application materials in addition to the generic Application to Graduate Study. However, all materials are submitted directly on-line as file attachments in the same application. These materials include the following:
- CV/Resume that includes only:
- Employment history
- State where you hold a teaching license (if applicable)
- Subject area endorsements
- Names and contact information for 3 references
- Applicant statement that addresses the following specific topics/questions:
- Why are you interested in pursuing a Master’s degree in Science Education?
- Science Content area in which you have a specific interest (if interdisciplinary, state disciplines)
- What do you consider the strengths and weaknesses in your science background?
- What do you consider the strengths and weaknesses in your education background?
- How do you hope to enhance your teaching by participating in the Science Education MA program?
- What factors attracted you to UNI for the pursuit of your graduate degree in science education?
- If you have a preference to work with a specific faculty member or on a specific research topic as part of your degree program, please include that preference.
- Writing Sample of career goals that integrates your views on the aspects critical to teaching science including the Next Generation Science Education Standards.
Additionally, a single letter of recommendation from one of the references listed in the CV/Resume must be submitted directly from the Reference person. References will be prompted to submit their letters after applicants enter their email address using the “Request Letter of Recommendation” button in the on-line application.
Application questions can be directed to the Science Education Graduate Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org.